Preaching the sermon has always had a central role in the life of and work of the church. Right from the time that Our Lord preached on the shores of the Sea of Galilee to the present day. While they may look and sound different through the ages and cultures, the sermon remain a powerful interface between the listener and the Word of God as written in the Bible.
The function of the preacher is to ‘unpack’ a piece of Scripture, explain it, put in context and relate it to the present day in a way that is relevant to the listener, with the assumption that 2 Timothy 3: 16 applies: “All Scripture is God – breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting, and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work” (NIV).
Some of my sermons:
- Sermon for evensong on the 8th of August 2010 – ‘Prayer’.
- Sermon for evensong on the 12th of December 2011 – ‘Love, come hell or high water’
- Sermon for evensong on the 9th of January 2011 – ‘The Waters of Death’.
- Sermon for the 30th of January 2011 – ‘The Beatitudes’.
- Sermon for the 13th of February 2011 – ‘Be like God – Mission Impossible!’
- Sermon for the 27th of February 2011 – ‘Where have all the flowers gone?’
- Sermon for evensong on the 13th of March 2011 – ‘That which was lost is found’
- Sermon for evensong on the 20th of March 2011 – ‘When I survey the wondrous cross’.
- Sermon for the 27th of March 2011 – ‘Living Water’.
- Sermon for evensong on the 27th of March 2011 – The Armour of God’
- Sermon for evensong on the 10th of April 2011 – ‘The darkest hour’.
- Sermon for evensong on Sunday 12th of February 2012 ‘Good and Evil’
- Sermon for Sunday the 26th of February 2012, ‘The Fall’
- Sermon for Sunday the 4th of March 2012 ‘Covenants and Promises’
- Sermon for Sunday the 22nd of April 2012, ‘There are no fish bones in heaven’
- Sermon for Sunday 24th of June 2012, ‘John the Baptist’
- Sermon for Sunday 22nd of July 2012 ‘The Good Shepherd’
- Sermon for Evensong Sunday 11th of November 2012, ‘Remembrance Sunday’
- Sermon for Choral Evensong 14th of April 2013 ‘St Andrew’s at the crossroads’
- Sermon for the Thursday Fellowship 15th of August 2013 ‘We are adopted children’
- Sermon for the Thursday Fellowship 5th of September 2013 ‘The one that got away’
- Sermon for the Thursday Fellowship 8th of May 2014 “The value of a promise”
- Sermon for the Thursday Fellowship 29th of May 2014 ‘Above the clouds’ (Ascension Day)
- Sermon for the Thursday Fellowship 5th of June 2014, ‘The Power of Prayer’
- Sermon for Thursday Fellowship 18th of June 2014 ‘The Prairie Tortoise’
- Sermon for Thursday Fellowship 25th of June 2014 ‘The rules of survival’
- Sermon for Evensong 12th of November 2017 ‘The manual for Salvation’ John 15: 9-17